Upgrading from SQL Server Express Edition
This is more of a personal note-to-self, but hopefully it will save someone else tearing their hair out!
If you already have SQL Server Express Edition installed and you decide to install a “higher” (Standard, or Enterprise) edition, then you might be surprised when you find after the installation that the complete management tools are not installed, such as SQL Server Profiler.
After much trial and error (and loss of yet more hair) I found that the following worked for me:
- Run the SQL Server setup.
- Go to the Maintenance option, and then perform a Feature Upgrade on the Shared Features (select > when you select the edition to upgrade).
- Go back to setup, and then select New installation or add features to an existing installation.
- During the installation, select Management Tools – Complete.
- Bask in the glory of your new found management tools.
I suspect (that can’t confirm) that if you perform the feature upgrade mentioned in step 2 before you install the new edition then the Management Tools – Complete option will be available during the installation of the new edition.
Hope this helps.